Get Started With Google
So I have my online store now what do I do?
This is question most asked by anyone new to eCommerce and selling online and a really good question. So you have your brand new online store and you have all your products listed and are feeling very proud of your new store.
Your site is live but without customers your visitors or traffic as its known in the online world its just another website looking pretty without purpose.
“Hey Google I’m over here”
There are many ways to get traffic to your site but the one which is going to help you the most is going to be the search engines and as Google is the biggest by far I think that this is good place to start.
So firstly you need to open a Google account, why? well as I will explain later having an account and registering your website is the first chance you have to tell Google “Hey Google I’m over here” but first let’s get you registered and open an account.
- First go to Google so you have its home search page and select sign in as shown above.
- You need to ignore the sign in boxes and click on the Create an account link as below.
- So now you need to complete the fields as requested and you need to select a gmail.com address I suggest using your business name so everything links to your business, it looks better and distinguishes your business account from your personal account. I have used firstname.lastname@example.org – for this example.
- Now you have entered your details this is a good time to start your profile.
- You now want to add a photo, this makes your profile stand out and makes it more personal to your customers. You can also add your logo but I like a picture but its your choice.
- So to add your photo select a photo you have on your computer either your logo or a photo of yourself. You can then resize or move it around so you get the best image, once you are happy just click set as profile picture.
- If you are happy with your picture you can then select this and create your profile.
- So now you have your confirmation screen with your picture in the top corner and your new email address all set up.
- Now we can start with getting Google to help you get some traffic and more importantly sales.
- So in the next post I will tell you how to add your sitemap to Google and some other great tips.